headlight(s) not working...it's not the fuse

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
So I went out tonight, haven't been on the bike in months (house burned down, lost all my gears).

Anyway, halfway down the block I realize my headlight is out, I pull over, feel for the headlight connectors on both sides, both are on, high beam is also out. I turn around, come home and pull the fuse cover. Fuses are fine, I swapped the turn signal\headlight fuse and the turn signal still works.

Now since the fire I lost pretty much all my tools an equipment, I'll borrow a test light tomorrow. in the meantime, anyone have an idea? I'm thinking something may have simply been pulled loose or a loose ground somewhere. Or possibly simply the start button assembly.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is always the possibility both filaments are open in the lamps. If the headlamp circuit fuse, is in fact good, there may be a problem with the headlamp relay. The headlamp relay is controlled by the ECM (Electronic Control Module) When the engine is running the ECM allows the headlamp relay coil to be grounded which activates closing the relay contact which then allows current to the headlight circuit. A bad ground for the headlight harness would also prevent the lamps for coming on.

A quick test with you test light will probably reveal whether you have voltage at the headlamps wires. Black with a green tracer is the lowbeam and it is constant on even with the high beam on if it is a stock non naked FZ6. Black with a yellow tracer is the high beam and it should only be active with the high beam switch turned on. Thinking about it, start the bike and turn on the high beam. Do you get the blue high beam indicator on your instrument cluster.

Let us know what you find. :)

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
Should have mentioned earlier, no there was no high beam indicator. I'll check for voltage as well as grounds tomorrow.