Luggage suggestions please?

What is the best way to transport gear on the FZ-6?

• Tank-bag

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Tail-bag

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Saddlebags

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Bags on an FZ-6? You're nuts!

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to get some luggage for my FZ-6. Now, before everyone starts yelling about how ugly it is let me explain. I am planning, with a friend (he rides an SV-650), several road trips throughout the summer. These trips will last between 4 and 7 days so I need enough space to pack the essentials and a few pairs of shorts (almost every trip is to the beach).

I have already decided that I do not want to wear everything in a backpack. Having that weight on you is terribly annoying on a long ride. I am leaning towards a tail bag simply because it is out of my way and they seem to have the best capacity.

Anyone with experience buying and using bike luggage please share the wisdom.

Thanks,
JW

Last edited:
Y

yukon_alex

I used a tank and tail bag combination for 4300km and they worked great! Lots of room and convenient too! The biggest complaint I had was trying to get my leg over the bike with the tail bag on it. Yoga helps.

I bought the Nelson Rigg gear from NewEnough.com (Luggage > All Types > Nelson Rigg :: New Enough Motorcycle Hard Parts)
I got the SSC-120 tank bag and the SSC-165 tail bag both of the SilverStreak variety. I really like the quality and fit.

W

wrightme43

I like expandable tank bags. I have saddle bags as well. I have had the cargo basics from Cyclegear exp. tank bag and exp. saddle bags. They were nice, had a problem with one clip wanting to come apart and the saddle bags were a tad to big.

Now have the Nelson Rigg exp tank bag. Nice bag, but the map pocket it crappy. Its sealed from the rain, but it destroys the map to get it in since the zipper area is to small. I have the Tecnic saddle bags. They are nice. Thats all I know man. Hope it helps.

Zealous

Reaction score
Visit site
In all the options I've seen I would have to say the best combonation is a tail bag and saddlebags. There are a couple of kits online. You can get saddle bags that tie to the frame and velcro over the seat. They're easy to remove and carry away too. The tail bag is then clipped into hidden locks on the top of the saddle bags making them one big unit with different entry points on three sides. It looks clean and provides maximum storage. If you need a map or radio or something, I'd suggest a tank bag and saddlebags.

Here is a good reference point for what I'm referring to with the first combo.

Installing Tourmaster Cortech Saddlebags & Tailbag on a (pre-'01) Suzuki GS500E

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a set of Motopak saddlebags and tailbag on a recent 2-week trip. I have nothing but good things to say about them... very durable, expandable, lots of attachment options, etc. This is how they look on the bike (keep in mind this is with the saddlebags almost fully expanded...)

Cheers!

DSC00375.jpg

Canada17

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an expandable tank bag for everyday riding. I also have soft saddlebags and a tailbox. I use the tail box most frequetly as it locks to the bike and closed. I prefer to run with no bags, but it's not a reality for me.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I used a set of Motopak saddlebags and tailbag on a recent 2-week trip. I have nothing but good things to say about them... very durable, expandable, lots of attachment options, etc. This is how they look on the bike (keep in mind this is with the saddlebags almost fully expanded...)

Cheers!

DSC00375.jpg

That's the set that I bought on your recommendation.
They really do sit well on the FZ6 and look like they are tailor-made for the bike.
The saddlebags do expand to hold an incredible amount of stuff.
Getting on and off is a challenge, but I'm working on that.:eek:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
All i have is a tank bag i carry my lunch in for work. When i go on longer rides i wear a backpack but have found that to be very cramped when filled with 3 days worth of clothes and food.

I think i will look into the saddlebags you guys/gals have on ya'lls.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Luggage would be great for commuting or some weekend trips, but without seeing how it installs first hand, have been hesitant.

Saddle bags, what keeps them from falling into the rear wheel area? Is there internal or external bracing? Or simply clipping to the pillion pegs enough?

Tank bags, is there a clip or are the magnets sufficient to keep it from sliding off, or worse jamming into the handlebar area?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Luggage would be great for commuting or some weekend trips, but without seeing how it installs first hand, have been hesitant.

Saddle bags, what keeps them from falling into the rear wheel area? Is there internal or external bracing? Or simply clipping to the pillion pegs enough?

Tank bags, is there a clip or are the magnets sufficient to keep it from sliding off, or worse jamming into the handlebar area?

Magnetic tank bags don't move period with just magnets.... I have used them for years with zero sctaches and/or other issues. The frame, the way they are tied, fender and depending on the actual shape of the bag and passenger foot pegs keep saddle bags away from the wheel...

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have MotoPak GTS-90 tail bags and the GT-mini Magnetic tank bag. They are very affordable and are excellent quality. The only thing I did not like was that since they are soft, you have to insert this plastic into the side of the bags to hold there shape. Not horrible, but the instructions pretty much left you to figuire it out. Even so, I still recommend them.:thumbup::thumbup:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
i got the nelson rigg silver streak deluxe saddle bags. look great fit well and hold a good amount of stuff. and they come off super easy. i think im going to get the matching tank bags.

ill get some pics

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's the inner red thingy behind the bags? Where did you get that from?

Yeah, same question. Is that a support frame? Is it universal or for those specific bags, and can passanger still ride?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
What about topcases? Any recommendations? I ride a 200 mile trip 2-3 times a month for the weekend and would love to fit an extra helmet and my bag/clothes in a topcase that locks and what not. I also would keep it on for practical reasons commuting everyday to toss my helmet and jacket into when i get to bars/restaurants/work.

I've been looking at the Givi E52 or E460. Ideas?!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have been looking at the topcases MarinaFazer. So far I'm looking at the E460 and the V46. Trust me, both of these cases are massive and well worth the money. They will fit two helmets comfortably and should have some room remaining. Of course if you just put in the one helmet you have room for clothes in there too!!! :) If you choose to get these cases remember you must purchase a rack to mount them to the bike. The mount is the FZ351 givi rack.

I bought the sling over pannier soft luggage from Oxford and they are great, only complaint is the time taken to put them on the bike..i must admit that it doesn't take me long anymore but when it rains stuff gets wet...so my main preference is for solid luggage. Solid luggage is ALOT more expensive...but at least its permanent!! :)

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking outside the box (or saddlebag) for a minute, I have a buddy who stays in hotels when he travels on the bike and he ships anything more than he can carry in a tankbag ahead to the hotel. Then he ships it home when he leaves. So far, hotels seem very accommodating and he doesn't deal with the bulk of the bags on his ride. More than one stop? Send a couple days stuff to each hotel. I haven't traveled at all yet, and when I do I think I'll probably go saddlebags, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking outside the box (or saddlebag) for a minute, I have a buddy who stays in hotels when he travels on the bike and he ships anything more than he can carry in a tankbag ahead to the hotel. Then he ships it home when he leaves. So far, hotels seem very accommodating and he doesn't deal with the bulk of the bags on his ride. More than one stop? Send a couple days stuff to each hotel. I haven't traveled at all yet, and when I do I think I'll probably go saddlebags, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of actually being free on a bike?? Picking up the keys and deciding to go somewhere on the spur of the moment. In theory and for a well planned trip it sounds like a good idea but for my breaks away on the bike I'd rather just get on board and head off....