New member welcome thread..

svaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy all, thanks for the add. My name is Bill and I just bought this '05 a couple of nights ago. She has 10,100mi on the clock (yes, really!) and a leaky starboard fork seal. I'm in southern AZ, abt 30 miles from the border with lots of room to open her up, but not much in the way of less than arrow straight roads. Anyway, after 8 years on a 250cc cruiser (which got flattened in the parking lot), I'm experience all new levels of power/excitement. She's a blast, but I'm old-ish and my 1st mod is to get risers. Cheers.

05 FZ6.jpg

Mule_man73

Reaction score
Visit site
hey everyone, My name is Michael and I just bought a used 2008 FZ6 with 8k odo miles. It's waiting for me in San Francisco, I'm on Maui in Hawaii right now. In a couple weeks I'm flying over hopping on my new (to me) moto and cruising north to Washington then East to Montana and eventually Wyoming for a summer job working in the backcountry of Yellowstone.
I wasn't too jazzed on this move until I figured a way to get a motorcycle and have an epic solo road trip to kick it all off. Years ago I also owned an earlier-model Fz6 and loved that bike so much I figured what the hell? It's a bitchin machine and super comfortable for longer distances, at least compared to other bikes I've owned.
Anyway, this forum looks dead. I would what the deal is?

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
hey everyone, My name is Michael and I just bought a used 2008 FZ6 with 8k odo miles. It's waiting for me in San Francisco, I'm on Maui in Hawaii right now. In a couple weeks I'm flying over hopping on my new (to me) moto and cruising north to Washington then East to Montana and eventually Wyoming for a summer job working in the backcountry of Yellowstone.
I wasn't too jazzed on this move until I figured a way to get a motorcycle and have an epic solo road trip to kick it all off. Years ago I also owned an earlier-model Fz6 and loved that bike so much I figured what the hell? It's a bitchin machine and super comfortable for longer distances, at least compared to other bikes I've owned.

Congrats, that's a great way to start off a trip like that! Sounds like you'll be cruising through some very cool parts of the country. Forum is far from dead, still plenty of us hanging around. FZ6 hasn't been made in 8 years so naturally there's less activity on this forum. Post up a pic!

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy all, thanks for the add. My name is Bill and I just bought this '05 a couple of nights ago. She has 10,100mi on the clock (yes, really!) and a leaky starboard fork seal. I'm in southern AZ, abt 30 miles from the border with lots of room to open her up, but not much in the way of less than arrow straight roads. Anyway, after 8 years on a 250cc cruiser (which got flattened in the parking lot), I'm experience all new levels of power/excitement. She's a blast, but I'm old-ish and my 1st mod is to get risers. Cheers.

View attachment 68877

Congrats and welcome! Which 250 cruiser? Honda Rebel?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

:welcome: New members!
Yes the FZ6 is still one of the best bike ever made to date! Winter is usually a little slow here but summer is on the way and more people are coming out of the woodwork. There are a few of us Ol Stalwarts that live here all year round. The main thing is that this forum has always had a great group of members. More than other forums! Even when members get a different bike we come and visit our friends.:)
Great that you're creating an adventure as you change to a new part of life. Best of luck and send us pictures of your trip.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome one, welcome all!

as motogiro says there area few of us that will log in nearly everyday, if we need to or not, we just like popping our heads in, checking how things are going, say g'day then run away again.

questions and more importantly, answers aplenty here

we love our bikes and I have to admit I read more and more about those that have moved on and lament that they don't have that "lil' fizzer" anymore.
So you are in the right place!

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the age of the tires and work through changing all the fluids.

How do these tires look? Im not really sure what to look for besides tread depth. I did the ‘penny trick’ and some spots were pretty shallow especially on the back tire at the equator, looks like it just barely touches lincolns hair

b040716140311ea6051b616e5f4fce51.jpg

d564e5a3bfa6c6588ef6be2d4a0ae381.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
How do these tires look? Im not really sure what to look for besides tread depth. I did the ‘penny trick’ and some spots were pretty shallow especially on the back tire at the equator, looks like it just barely touches lincolns hair

You should check the tire age by the date code and for dry rot.

Generally the tires should be less than 5 years old. Fresh rubber can transform a bike. If the bike was left ungaraged and uncovered, the tires can bake in the sun and crack prematurely (dry rot).

8829197844510.jpg

SwaggyP

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody, I'm Marcus, I'm from Rockford Illinois and I just bought a 2005 FZ6. First owner got hit by a truck and gave the bike away and I bought it from that guy because he couldn't get it running. Its blue but since its not running I'm not sure how fast it is lol. I got it running but I need help finding front headlight and speedometer kits as well as a throttle position sensor. figured this was the right place to come to for ideas and information.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody, I'm Marcus, I'm from Rockford Illinois and I just bought a 2005 FZ6. First owner got hit by a truck and gave the bike away and I bought it from that guy because he couldn't get it running. Its blue but since its not running I'm not sure how fast it is lol. I got it running but I need help finding front headlight and speedometer kits as well as a throttle position sensor. figured this was the right place to come to for ideas and information.

:welcome: to our great forum! One of our members is parting out a motor and may be able to help you with the TPS you need. The member is zixaq. Give a PM.
[MENTION=27568]zixaq[/MENTION]

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

Indeed, I have some spare parts, and I'll be moving to within a few hours' drive of you in July if you aren't in a rush.

Have a headlight assembly and a TPS (in fact the whole throttle body if you want it).

Dannyrayhyde

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello im Danny I live in Abilene Tx and traded for my first Fz6 this weekend, im excited about the project and will be looking to you gurus as I attempt my first ever naked build

AwwShucks

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I recently picked up a slightly wrecked 2008 FZ6 for cheap and have slowly been bringing it back to life. So far I have new fairings, new chain, rebuilt forks, new steering head bearings, new front wheel (last one was bent in the crash), and a myriad of maintenance items that I've found across this site. All of this for under $2k!! I originally bought it as a beater bike for rain & commuting duty, but I've honestly been loving how nimble and accessible this thing is and I've already put 3000 miles on it since May. It's given me no problems outside of some vibrations that I'm trying to hunt down. Wish me luck!

I'm in the Columbus OH area btw, hit me up if you want to ride!

TKBone

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there, i've been reading a couple of month and I think it's time to say hello :D My name is Thomas, I'm 29 and currently I'm studying Social Work in Feldkirchen, Carinthia, Austria. Coming from an ER5 Kawa with a brake of two long years i got myself the fizzer in november. While i used the ER5 for commuting in the Vienna areas, i felt like learning how to ride on the FZ6 for real. Since getting the bike I enjoyed about 10k km's, added new levers and a MRA sport spoiler to tame the airflow (working good for me guiding the air to mid-helmet areas of my now-quiet Schubert C3). While the tarmac hast some holes anderen Cracks Carinthia is full of great twisties! Greetings from the sunny Klagenfurt! Thomas IMG_20180713_152117.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_202409.jpg
    IMG_20180708_202409.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180712_214420.jpg
    IMG_20180712_214420.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: