New member welcome thread..

Mide24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,
Michael from Vegas. Been riding on and off for the past 15 years but haven't owned a bike since about 2007 and i just bought a 2008 FZ6. Loving it so far and i hope I get to learn a few things about the fz6 on here.

malloc()

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

This is crazy, a post started in 2007! lot's of Fazer owners.

I'm Diego, from Argentina, living in Ireland for some time now. I had been riding small bikes in the past and plenty of bicycles, always wanted a nice motorcycle.

After having a hearth surgery last year, I said, ok, it's time. Since then, I had a honda 2014 cb500f, did some trip in harleys. Had discovered a passion in riding and also doing work in bikes. Got the 2008 FZ6 Fazer S2 ABS with 3600 km and a couple of nice Scorpion cans. The Yamaha is a keeper :).

I feel a little bit out of time, she's not being made for long time and I just got it now, but very happy. I'm using her every day. Just had a fall with black ice in a street junction at low speed, but it's material for another post I think. I'm planing to do some work on her and start riding around Europe.

Regards to everyone.

SteliosAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Hellooo

I am Stelios from sunny Cyprus. Recently bought an FZ6 S2 2009 ABS in galaxy blue. It came with original Yamaha full fairings and G.P.R Titanium exhausts. Great way to begin a bit of customising! See you soon!
fz6.jpg

Stubbz

Reaction score
Visit site
Helloooo

New member here from Central New York, just bought an 08 FZ6 with 4190 miles on it and all stock, have liked the style for years and I finally stepped away from all my other supermotos and play bikes to get something more comfortable for myself and girlfriend to go on some longer rides. Been a die hard Yamaha guy for many years but ive owned a little of everything, 14 bikes over past 11 years.

Already began some mods, black windshield first and tail tidy to ditch the huge fender flap hanging off the back.

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 100

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: new members!

[MENTION=28904]Stubbz[/MENTION] Your front tire looks like a Bridgestone BT-020. There is a date stamp on those tires that you should check because if that is an original tire/s you'll want to change them before you do any freeway or technical riding. the reason I ask is that is the same BT-020 my factory 06 had and I rarely see that tire anymore.
attachment.php

Stubbz

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: new members!

[MENTION=28904]Stubbz[/MENTION] Your front tire looks like a Bridgestone BT-020. There is a date stamp on those tires that you should check because if that is an original tire/s you'll want to change them before you do any freeway or technical riding. the reason I ask is that is the same BT-020 my factory 06 had and I rarely see that tire anymore.
attachment.php

Here is a pic of my tire date stamp, is there some form of recall or issues they had with these tires?

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 26

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pic of my tire date stamp, is there some form of recall or issues they had with these tires?
No known recall on the tire.
That stamp says the tire was manufactured in the 4th week of 2008. That tire is almost 10 years old. Although tires don't turn into pumpkins at a specific time, it is a safety concern when tires reach the 6 year old mark. That tire will probably be fine but.... the compounds on a street tire are generally more critical and effected by age. This is largely do to the type of duty, tires are designed for and the inherent degradation of those compounds over time as well as exposure to element and light.

I would not recommend going hard on these tires nor expect their rating to meet specifications because of their age. They are almost 4 years beyond the standard recommendation for age.
If they spent their life in a mild environment they may be fine. I would examine them for any dryness and hardness.
These bikes can do the neighborhood of 150 mph which you probably don't want to do on old rubber.
Be safe and again welcome to our great family! :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That stamp says the tire was manufactured in the 4th week of 2008. That tire is almost 10 years old. Although tires don't turn into pumpkins at a specific time, it is a safety concern when tires reach the 6 year old mark. That tire will probably be fine but.... the compounds on a street tire are generally more critical and effected by age. This is largely do to the type of duty, tires are designed for and the inherent degradation of those compounds over time as well as exposure to element and light.

I would not recommend going hard on these tires nor expect their rating to meet specifications because of their age. They are almost 4 years beyond the standard recommendation for age.
If they spent their life in a mild environment they may be fine. I would examine them for any dryness and hardness.
These bikes can do the neighborhood of 150 mph which you probably don't want to do on old rubber.
Change the tires. If replacing them is a mistake, its a GOOD mistake!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stubbz

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks I had the exact same feeling about the tires myself because of age, I will likely be replacing them this season anyhow but I don't go hard in corners like I used to either, regardless it's a good idea to change them being as old as they are, I have checked them for dry cracks and surprised they aren't yet but still need to be changed for sure.

manco

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, New to the forum. Looking forward to checking it out. Looks like lots of good info here.

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys I am new to the forums. I just bought my first bike its a 2004 FZ6. It has 24,500 miles, and I have no maintenance record, the previous owner had the bike for 3 months and had no information about what’s been done. He gave me plugs and an air filter when I got it so those are on my list.

I changed the oil yesterday, and have plans to clean and lube the chain next. Anything else I should look into?

Thanks and nice to meet you guys!

e81bda8f6c4b423730477bf02a8fa54e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good looking 2004. Welcome to the forum. Nothing to look for as the FZ is a reliable bike. There are some known issues that can cause poor performance and running, but as long as the bike is working well...just enjoy it.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome [MENTION=28997]cook.675[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28986]manco[/MENTION]

Check the age of the tires and work through changing all the fluids.