NorCal ride to see SoCal gang 8/20- 8/22

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really, you feel ~300 miles is a lot? Huh...

We like to get in a full day, and our guests from out of town want to see the best we have to offer. Everything is negotiable and this is just the planning stage.

Whoopie! 300+ miles through your favorite haunts? :rockon:
And I was worried we'd spend more time riding to and from SoCal than actually riding down there.
Either of those two rides looks awesome John, thanks. :thumbup:
But I think that route #1 would be my choice..

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

We like to get in a full day, and our guests from out of town want to see the best we have to offer. Everything is negotiable and this is just the planning stage.

That's nothing! LOL...Try having your start & end point from Las Vegas, which I have done, something like 800 miles in one day.

For those who have never been on any of these group rides, it's very well organized, lots of breaks and don't feel intimidated by the pace. EVERYONE rides their own ride. Depending on the size, it's split up into several groups. If there was ever a "How To" video on group rides, the past rides that I have participated would be it.

FWIW..I will not venture these twisties on my own without one of these Southern Cal members. They know the roads, they will show you the lines.

Oh by the way, if I'm in, I vote for route # 2. I would probably ride in on Friday and leave Sunday morning

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Either of those two routes look great! #1 would be awesome because you get Idyllwild, Palomar and Borrego all in one ride. SD riders (not speaking for everyone, of course) could meet you at the 15 & 76 and go from there.

EDIT: Actually we would have to meet you farther up north. I read the route in reverse.

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for #1 :D (I like how you managed to include Pizza Port in both routes lol awesome).

Thanks John...

oh and Mark, common man it'll be a lot of fun! :)

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

300 miles is a lot -- for me at least :)

I do agree that your routes would give the NorCal gang a good show for sure. Personally I think you have to include the Crest even if it's cliche or whatever, for the quintessential SoCal sporting experience. You can go in from Sunland of course ... I think it's reopening in La Canada soon too?

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't been around much lately, but if I can find a way to make it to this ride I will!

Route 1 looks epic!!! Ok, both do... but I like 1 a lot!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't been around much lately, but if I can find a way to make it to this ride I will!

Route 1 looks epic!!! Ok, both do... but I like 1 a lot!

Hey Powell,

You can't go on this ride until you finish the video from our last major ride. Whatever happened to that Teaser Video? Is it finished?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
300 miles is a lot -- for me at least :)

I do agree that your routes would give the NorCal gang a good show for sure. Personally I think you have to include the Crest even if it's cliche or whatever, for the quintessential SoCal sporting experience. You can go in from Sunland of course ... I think it's reopening in La Canada soon too?

300 miles is basically the minimum to make a day out of it knowing that the good roads are around 140 miles (round trip) to get to.

ACH is still closed and won't be re-opened for a while since the road is gone and they have no $$ to fix it. Plus, as you saw in the routes, we decided to choose roads South of LA so we can meet in the middle with our San Diego folks. including ACH would be a huge detour.

If Lefty and Chemiker want to do it, we can tell them how to go through it on their way back up North on Sunday.

Now stop complaining and confirm you'll join us! :D

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Powell,

You can't go on this ride until you finish the video from our last major ride. Whatever happened to that Teaser Video? Is it finished?

::hangs head in shame::

For that video I had epic plans, but trifling follow through. I just ran across Cliff's video in my backpack the other day, from the last time I planned to convert the stuff and put it all together.

I'll make a bigger effort to edit something between now and then. :thumbup:

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: 2 possible routes

I'm down for either route. Thanks for putting ride options together for the group Cali Rider!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K. with a month still to go here's a tentative list of riders:

Lefty (John)
Chemiker (Travis)
Cali rider (John)
Wavex (David
BryanDH (Bryan)
Westgoingzax (Alex?)
Vegasrider (Kenny?)
smokenu ( ?)
Jblk9695 (Jerry)
marke14 - maybe
PowellB - maybe
Tailgate - maybe
cknatz (Chris) - maybe

Sorry, I was guessing at some of the names. If I got them wrong please correct me. :spank:

Oh, and thanks again John for putting the ride routes together. :thumbup:

Last edited:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe David ... I think we have family ish on that weekend is what I am saying. I'd be down to do a big ride, I was just saying ... damn, that's a long way for me!

BTW ACH is open ... I have been up a couple of times recently. :BLAA:

You have to go in from Sunland through Tujunga Canyon. :thumbup: I hear you on the detour aspect.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
W00t! It's going to be awesome! :) Too bad Tailgate will be sun bathing on the french Riviera at that time :D

Actually, I should be back in CA late Thursday (19 Aug). There's an outside chance that I might ride down Friday afternoonish to SoCal to join up with everybody else. It kinda depends on how crazy I will feel after just getting back from a vacation. I have to work Friday but I might be able to escape early (it's a non-instructional school day) if I decide to go psycho and dash south for, what would be my first SoCal ride with other forum members for this epic trip on Saturday. It would be, probably, my only shot to do this (a fun get-together SoCal ride) for awhile with the school year (my job) starting the following Monday

Last edited:

cknatz

Reaction score
Visit site
SOunds like a lot of fun. I will see if i can make it; put me in as a maybe. I will know more next next week.

Good to be back on the forum.

Chris