Visit site
First time knee down? That's awesome dudes you won't forget it:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First time knee down? That's awesome dudes you won't forget it:thumbup:

Not 1st, but 1st day of consistently getting it down.. and getting it down on nearly every corner, including the high speed ones. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup,Yup Yup!!!
Me Too!!
To Old for falling down!
Takes So long to heal,
As you get older.
Looks like so much FUN!
Though.
:cool:
Rich

All of the above is true, BUT.. with age comes wisdom and maturity (at least to some degree :rof: )

I'm not exactly *young* .. I'll be 40 in 1 month. No one says you have to push your limits on the track. Ride at 75% and you're potentially safer than you are on the street.

The only reason I'd give anyone to NOT try a track day: It's like crack and heroin mixed into one super-drug (not that I know what either of those are really like)!! You WILL want another hit.. and another.. and another :rolleyes:

P.S. The wisdom and maturity comment.. that only partially applies to me. I'm still pretty *stupid* :rof: .. so I know I'll be pushing harder each time I'm out there.. hopefully all my offs will be low-sides :spank:

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking good! Keep it up!

Getting a knee down is exhilarating at first but you'll probably find as you drop lap times, your knee won't touch as much as did when you were trying to get it down. Although pics with the knee down are a lot better than pics without!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking good! Keep it up!

Getting a knee down is exhilarating at first but you'll probably find as you drop lap times, your knee won't touch as much as did when you were trying to get it down. Although pics with the knee down are a lot better than pics without!

Yup! My buddy was there with me. He's 56 years old, has not ridden a motorcycle in 1 year.. and his best lap was 13 seconds quicker than mine!!

He never came close to dragging his knees, all day!

Of course.. He started racing before I was born! He raced motoX, stock cars and go-karts most of his life. He's got a racer mind-set.

As you said though.. knee-down pics definitely look better :thumbup:

P.S. He put down 1:37.. another friend of mine does ~15 track days a year; has started racing last year and his best lap to date is 1:36 :eek:

Now.. here's where it gets really *stupid*: track record for 600cc is 1:21, 1000 is 1:20 :eek: :eek:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Now.. here's where it gets really *stupid*: track record for 600cc is 1:21, 1000 is 1:20 :eek: :eek:

That doesn't surprise me!

If you look at the Isl of Man TT records, a CBR 1000 does a lap in 17:06, with a 132 mph average speed, a CBR 600 does a lap in 17:35 with a 128 mph average speed.

This is a 37.7 miles long course, with every possible corner combination you could dream of! And a 1000 only takes 29 seconds less than a 600 to do a lap, at pretty much the same average speed.

Once you reach a certain point, more power doesn't always mean much faster!

( if you haven't seen it yet, watch "TT3D: Closer to the Edge", amazing movie on the race!)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't surprise me!

If you look at the Isl of Man TT records, a CBR 1000 does a lap in 17:06, with a 132 mph average speed, a CBR 600 does a lap in 17:35 with a 128 mph average speed.

This is a 37.7 miles long course, with every possible corner combination you could dream of! And a 1000 only takes 29 seconds less than a 600 to do a lap, at pretty much the same average speed.

Once you reach a certain point, more power doesn't always mean much faster!

( if you haven't seen it yet, watch "TT3D: Closer to the Edge", amazing movie on the race!)

That's not what I meant, Carlos. The stupid part I was trying to point out was just how much faster pro racers are than *normal* people. I just threw 600/1000 in there because I happen to know both.
This is a 600cc track, so it makes sense that the numbers are very close.

So my friend, who's pretty darn fast.. fast enough to place in the middle of the pack in club races, is full 17 seconds slower than pros!! THAT is just stupid!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
That's not what I meant, Carlos. The stupid part I was trying to point out was just how much faster pro racers are than *normal* people. I just threw 600/1000 in there because I happen to know both.
This is a 600cc track, so it makes sense that the numbers are very close.

So my friend, who's pretty darn fast.. fast enough to place in the middle of the pack in club races, is full 17 seconds slower than pros!! THAT is just stupid!

It's all relative. People once thought Valentino was fast! Now, look at Marc who has raised the bar to another level.

Track days are just that, they're track days. No trophy. Not wheelbarrow of $$ to take home. Just have fun and hone your skills at your own pace. It will make you a much, much more proficient street rider.

Yep, and when I've dragged my elbow, the helmet soon followed....as well as the other elbow, and knee, and then back to the other elbow, etc. :D