Thanks vs. +1

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Convention on this forum is that if you agree with a post, you respond by saying,"+1"

One flaw, doing this bumps the thread back to the top of the list even though there's not really any meaningful addition.

I propose that instead of replying with +1, use the Thanks feature that's been turned on recently. Like +1, it lets people see that a post was appreciated by others. Unlike +1, the thread doesn't get bumped to the top of the list.

It's nice if you're a forum addict (like me) because you don't reopen a thread you just read to see a +1 or "Me too" style post. But it still lets you show appreciation for a good post.

What say the forum? Should we develop a new habit and use the Thanks instead?

Fred

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I would have said "+1" but it would bump the thread to the top of the list, etc....

You proposal seems very useful for those who simply agree to a posting without substantial addition. I'm following this protocol from now on..

H

HavBlue

The use of +1 is pretty universal however, there is generally an additional comment from my experience as most forums won't allow "+1" alone; the post is too short. The other issue here is that "thanks" is great but it is not the same as +1 because +1 is a statement of agreement as opposed to a thanks.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, if the +1 is used alone the forum won't let you submit the post until it reaches 10 characters, which almost guarantees a comment with the +1.
I guess people could be writing things like:

+1, I agree.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The use of +1 is pretty universal however, there is generally an additional comment from my experience as most forums won't allow "+1" alone; the post is too short. The other issue here is that "thanks" is great but it is not the same as +1 because +1 is a statement of agreement as opposed to a thanks.

+1 +1 +1 +1

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
What say the forum? Should we develop a new habit and use the Thanks instead?

Fred

The thanks would be better as it keeps the database clean... Its my preferred method..:thumbup:

H

HavBlue

The thanks would be better as it keeps the database clean... Its my preferred method..:thumbup:

It also loses a comment that may be attached to the +1. At times you'll see +1, a sign of agreement and then a reason for that agreement. A simple thanks begs the question "why," with no follow-up indicating what the thanks may be for. Especially if it is long post with numerous paragraphs.