• 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

I have always just stayed out of the great oil debates. But since I made the switch to Rotella synthetic I've just got to chime in. This stuff is pretty amazing. I've only just switched and have maybe 1k on the current oil. Gear box is much smoother now. Pretty remarkable.

I read someone's comment regarding the gearbox on the fz6 as, "about as mechanically graceful as a john deere tractor..." (or something to that effet) and I'd always agreed. While it's not a swiss watch now it does seem to work more like the proverbial well-oiled machine.

how many miles do you change your oil

how many miles do you change your oil? and do you use 10 30w or 10 40w? and do you aculy put in 2.80litres or 2.96us quarts; or just the whole 3quarts?

Re: how many miles do you change your oil

every 2000, 10 30w and 2.8ltr.

The guy who got me through my bike test here in the UK (4 days of training) had an FJ1200 with 130K miles on the clock. He swore by a regular oil change. you'll find plenty of people that say it is not required but plenty of others that do. For me I say its a small price to pay to know she's running on good oil all the time

i think it's also important to think about how long it's been since the last oil change. i have such a short commute and don't get to put a whole lot of miles on her, so i find myself changing the oil because it's been 3 months since the last change, even though i only really done about 1,500 miles. there are a ton of people out there who will say you are crazy to change so often, but i'll drop 50 bucks every other month or so for that satisfaction of watching what was once a light gold oil flow out of that engine that is now a dark brown, and then replace :thumbup:. my buddy runs his yamaha dirtbikes, HARD i must say, on the same oil for a year at a time (sometimes longer, and sometimes i swear there was hardly any oil in there at all), and they fire up and run just fine going on 15 years now. mostly a personal opinion i say, though not that i would ever recommend treating any engine like that. definitely a noticeable improvement in performance with a fresh change. i use AMSoil 10w40, and use the full 3 quarts.

I just changed mine for the first time, and I was curious about this as well. I used the whole 3 qts. However, I used Mobil 15w 50 Full Synthetic. I was told by the dealership that that was fine, because they did not make whatever the synthetic recomendation was anymore. Also a few buddies of mine with R1s,GSXR600's and a CBR or 2 swear by it. Does anyone else use synthetic oil?

The Rotella synthetic at walmart was 22 dollars for a gallon. I thought it seemed a little high.

I just changed mine for the first time, and I was curious about this as well. I used the whole 3 qts. However, I used Mobil 15w 50 Full Synthetic. I was told by the dealership that that was fine, because they did not make whatever the synthetic recomendation was anymore. Also a few buddies of mine with R1s,GSXR600's and a CBR or 2 swear by it. Does anyone else use synthetic oil?

i use fully synthetic once my bike is broken in; i am puting in ams oil; but i have 1,600miles on my bike. befor that i just used regular oil. i use the whole 3qts, figured it was so little extra oil then 2.96qts recomended. i dont realy see 0.4 of a quart hurting anything? know my luck i will blow a seal. lol:confused: 15w 50 seems kinda heavy to me? what do you mean they dont make the recomended synthetic oil anymore??? i use 10 30w.

Last edited:

I think I paid about that. I wasn't really commenting on the price, just the performance. Though just doing a quick search of on-line places I found mobile 1 moto oil going for at least $7/qt. So even if I paid $24 at wally world that's still cheaper.

It may just be a matter of switching to full synthetic and rotella is just getting all of the props because it's what I reached for. Fair enough. I used mobil 1 in my vfr and liked that, too.

I'm just coming from a blend of dyno and synthetic. The resulting change in my gearbox is what's nice.

i use fully synthetic once my bike is broken in; i am puting in ams oil; but i have 1,600miles on my bike. befor that i just used regular oil. i use the whole 3qts, figured it was so little extra oil then 2.96qts recomended. i dont realy see 0.4 of a quart hurting anything? know my luck i will blow a seal. lol:confused: 15w 50 seems kinda heavy to me? what do you mean they dont make the recomended synthetic oil anymore??? i use 10 30w.

If I can remember right, it was the SAE20W40 oil. On page 8-1 of my owners manual, it shows Yamalube4, SAE10W30 or SAE20W40. I was told it was ok to use the 15w50 instead of the 20w40. Can you get the 20w40 synthetic? Does your owners manual recomend the same oil? And I agree, the 0.4 is a little hard to measure, so I just put it all in.

I think I paid about that. I wasn't really commenting on the price, just the performance. Though just doing a quick search of on-line places I found mobile 1 moto oil going for at least $7/qt. So even if I paid $24 at wally world that's still cheaper.

It may just be a matter of switching to full synthetic and rotella is just getting all of the props because it's what I reached for. Fair enough. I used mobil 1 in my vfr and liked that, too.

I'm just coming from a blend of dyno and synthetic. The resulting change in my gearbox is what's nice.

I put rotella sync in everything, I guess the last time i bought it I thought i paid 17 bucks.

Also, I forgot to mention, I can get the Mobil 15w50 synthetic from Walmart for 26.00 for 5 qts. The individual quarts sold at the dealership are between10.00 or 13.00 each.

Mobile one 15w50 every 8000 miles.

dame i change mine at every 1000miles. maybe thats why my vechials always keep runing. lol. i got problems.

They don't sell the recommended (20W-40) at my local Yamaha place, so I bought 2 gallons of Yamalube 20W-50 (plus I had a few quarts of unused 20W-40 left over from my XT225 and (4) oil filters when I purchased the bike a couple months ago. I have 1000 miles and just completed my second oil change. I plan to change the oil every 500 miles until the yamalube runs out. Then I will start using AmsOil 10W-40 and change it every 3000 miles (or six months depending on how much I ride). I'm just partial to AmsOil, my 2 smoker dirt bike likes it better than other oils I've tried. But any synthetic that is recommended for 'wet clutches' would be just fine.

I am on track to hit 5000 miles in one year. So, I could change the oil once a year? That just does not seem right. I would probably change the oil just so I feel better.:D

It doesnt care at all. LOL
I have 24,617 miles on mine now. first mile april 10th 2007 587 days later it runs great.

The mobil oil I use is 15,000 mile rated oil. 15,000 miles or 365 days whichever comes first.
Its fine I promise.
I am obsessive about some things and mobil one is the best.

Thats like 50 miles a day (even including 4 months where I couldnt ride it because my house burned and all my gear went with it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back