Wiseco big bore kit & new cams on their way!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, it's happening folks, my street FZ6 - "Damien", is getting more ponies!

I have taken the leap....ordered the Wiseco high compression 637cc big bore kit today, and will order the new cams on monday....they may be R6 cams, or after-market, or YEC race cams, just waiting on a little bit of info...

Jim Hanlon from Superbike Performance is doing the build, and will also be re-tuning the bike when done....we are hoping for about 120hp at the rear wheel, by the time , Jimmy, one of Australia's leading bike engine guru's finishes weilding his magic!

here's a link to the Wiseco kit i have ordered...

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Wiseco-YamahaYFZR6PistonKit.pdf

looks like the bike will have work started on it by the end of next week, and hopefully it should be done by the time i get the plaster cast off my broken hand!

the reason we are doing the cams, as well as the big bore kit, is as we have raised the engine capacity, there will be more torque available, so the different cams should not affect low down grunt as much as they would on a normal FZ6 motor.....

this is going to be fun! and "Damien" is going to be more than just a bit of a "sleeper", when done.

:rockon:

You're insane !!!
And I like it.
Can't wait to see the outcome of this. :cheer:

Are you doing this on the track bike, or your street bike?

You're insane !!!
And I like it.
Can't wait to see the outcome of this. :cheer:

Are you doing this on the track bike, or your street bike?

streetbike.....bike is already way lighter than stock, and has PCIII already....plus TB's...so this is the final step i think....had been thinking supercharger, but.....

:thumbup:

Nice man...:thumbup: Hope she stays bullet-proof with the new internals

Jim, the guy doing it doesnt seem to think it will cause too many iussues, says that most modern engines are quite ok with such modifications...i think one of the hardest things will be getting the tune right at the end, and choosing the right camshaft sprockets.

That bike is getting really awsome.
I know a lot of people are thinking, why not buy a R6 or someting more powerfull stock.
But I understand when you mod you're bike, you'll have something unique.

And supercharging. Always liked it on cars. Not sure on bike's tho.
Maybe because I never rode one and don't know how it feels.
But the sound of a blowoff valve is alway's a pantswetter :D

That bike is getting really awsome.
I know a lot of people are thinking, why not buy a R6 or someting more powerfull stock.
But I understand when you mod you're bike, you'll have something unique.

And supercharging. Always liked it on cars. Not sure on bike's tho.
Maybe because I never rode one and don't know how it feels.
But the sound of a blowoff valve is alway's a pantswetter :D

i just wanna see the looks on the r6 riders, when i take off!

:rockon:

Too cool! I've wanted to do this mod since day one, well maybe day two. This is going to be fun to watch.

I'm really interested in what the mid range does with the larger pistons.

Be sure to take lots of photos!

No recession is on Oz, huh? ;)

On last thing. Any cooling concerns?

Last edited:
Good for you Jamie! Yeah, that lift and duration change on the cam will make a difference. You crazy man from down under! I envy you!

I rode an older GZXR 600 the other day and couldn't believe how much more power my FZ6 had over that Suzy. I guess I've been riding on a modded Yamaha and that older Suzy motor was tired?

Gonna ride Palomar's South Grade this morning and try out the new steering damper.

Get better soon.
Cliff

I like the way you think man! This is purely awesome..:thumbup: I'm definitely going to be following this build. Best of luck with the hunt for more ponies!:D

That's great news, I for one am glad you are taking it further than the usual boltons, or trading in for an R6. One thing I have always wondered though, why does everyone just use a PCIII instead of a full standalone? A Microsquirt only costs a little more (like USD 60 extra) and can do so much more.

That's great news, I for one am glad you are taking it further than the usual boltons, or trading in for an R6. One thing I have always wondered though, why does everyone just use a PCIII instead of a full standalone? A Microsquirt only costs a little more (like USD 60 extra) and can do so much more.

because the average joe wants things cheap and paying someone to rewire the whole bike and then tune is will be much more than the PC3 way.

If I were to be looking at extracting every last hp this is obviously the route. But the new pc5 has been updated with better tuning resolution.

something that offers timing control as well as fuel might be useful on a project like this given how the engine's knock characteristics may change with the bore/cam.

OT: I've wondered if more could be done even with the stock bike by remapping spark tables to match the burn rate of premium gas and not 87 octane.
On my FZR600 they used to sell a couple of timing products, a fixed +5 advancer, and the vance and hines powerpak which was a new Ignitor with advanced spark tables. I've never seen the spark table for this bike though, so who knows. Maybe a project for someone with some free dyno time on their hands.

one thing that might come along with this whole shebang, to compliment the PCIII, is a powercommander LCD unit.....which allows the user to do such things as Display all Power Commander data "real-time", storage & swtiching between multiple maps, data logging, and "On Screen" map adjustments.

I dont think the PC5 is available for the FZ6, as yet, and as it is, the PCIII is pretty flexible with it's tuning ability's, allowing individual cylinder mapping, etc, as it is....just needs someone who knows what they are doing, to drive the dyno, when mapping the ignition...

Back