Worst oil change ever...

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, in preparation for putting my bike into hibernation mode, I decided to 1. change the oil, 2. stabilize the fuel, and 3. put the bike up onto it's paddock stands.

1. Got the oil pan drain bolt off no problem. Used bd43's walkthrough as this was the first time that I've changed my own oil on this bike. I had to take of my sub-cowling in order to use his tinfoil trick. Drained the oil, no problem. Went to change the oil filter (which was replaced at my last oil change ~ 3000km's ago at the dealership :spank:) and the damn filer wouldn't come off. I tried a strap wrench, and couldn't get enough space for leverage, due to the kick stand being in the way. Removed the kick stand and there still wasn't enough leverage. So, I tried a number 5 oil filter wrench from Canadian Tire. It split in half. So I went back and got 2 more. One split in half again. The other I drilled a self tapping screw into, and the into the filer, and it split into 3 pieces at the screw hole. Then I tried a slip jawed filter wrench. I succeeded in in denting the hell out of the filter, but didn't even loosen it. By now I was getting a little PO'd. Finally I hammered a screwdriver through the filter and tried to twist it off that way. I ended up breaking the handle of the screwdriver (not the metal bit, but the rubber/plastic part). Tried a larger screwdriver and finally got the damn thing off!

Total cost - three #5 filter wrenches broken, one Master Craft screw driver broken, one useless slip-jawed filter wrench, and one useless strap wrench. :banghead:

Got the new filter on, and filled the bike back up with Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. Took me ~ 3 hours start to finish (including a drive the the CT store for another #5 wrench).

2. Had to hand fill the bike from a gas can as it's too cold here to ride anywhere safely (today was a high of 3 degree's Celsius). As I was pouring into the funnel I ended up splashing fuel on the tank and front fairing. After I got the bike filled up and added the stabilizer, I decided to take it out of the shed and give it a quick wash to get the spilled gasoline off. As I was taking it off the center-stand it got a little sideways on me, and I ended up dropping it onto it's right side. How ticked was I??? :rant: Big time! Got the bike back up, cursing up a storm to find not a single bit of damage (thanks to Motovation Swingarm and Frame Sliders and the new HVMP bar ends). I mean nothing, zip, nada. Not a scuff, dent, scratch, nothing. So that improved my mood slightly (I was still pretty embarrassed). Got the bike all cleaned off and put it back into the shed, plugged into the trickle charger.

3. I had ordered a set of paddock stands ~ 1 month ago. Apparently they're on back-order. So, I put the bike up on it's center stand and had my wife push down on the rear end. I then took some pieces of 2x6 and 2x4 that I had cut for this and stacked them under the front forks. Once I got enough height I placed a piece of pine 2x4 as the last piece directly under the fork (so it won't dent/scratch the fork). Got it all balanced so that both the front and rear wheel free spin, and should not get any flats spots over the winter. Now she's good to go for her winter hibernation.

Probably should have put this in the rant forum...but, it's kinda informative, so... :D

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Well at least you got the filter off. In the future I would recommend using the K&N filter that has a welded 11mm nut on the end. All you need is one wrench to undo the oil pan plug and the filter as well. Costs a little more but it makes oil changes much easier.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your experience was even worse than my last oil change.

The weather turned cold and I needed to get it done before freezing my tail off, and before my sleeping 3 month old daughter woke up.

In an effort to keep oil from dripping onto my catalytic converter, I was applying a piece of aluminum foil but forgot to use my high-temp gloves. The heat from the converter went right through the foil and burned the hell out of the tip of my index finger. The burn immediately blistered and filled with liquid by the time I was finished.

My oil filter cap wrench also broke which left me pounding a screwdriver through the filter so I could thread it off. I like the Bosch filters, but I think I'm going to start buying those K and N filters with the hex head welded right on the end.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that was a PITA! Glad it worked out in the end. For the last few years, I have been using my torque wrench for the oil drain bolt AND the oil filter. My friends think I'm nuts, but I've never had to use the screw driver method since...

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
wow that is some story! Glad there is no damage from the bike drop.

It's kind of remarkable, I have never had trouble getting a filter off that i installed myself. I don't know what these guys in the service bays are doing but geez... The last time I had my car oil changed I told the guy don't tighten the freaking thing so much.

Generally once you hand tighten it, use a wrench and do about 1/2 turn.. that's it. And also, coat the rubber seal with oil.

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought my first oil change was bad. Your story takes the cake.

I had a hell of a time getting the filter off too. I ended up getting one of those grip type oil wrenches (not the numbered type that goes over the filter), and just applied as much force as possible, literally making large dents in the oil filter and then turned it little by little. Needless to say, I hand tightened the filter I replaced it with.

At least there wasn't any damage from the drop. :)

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes! Similar story on my end...the first time I removed the OEM oil filter that the goofy dealership put on I broke an oil filter wrench too! I had to use a large Craftsman screwdriver to pierce through the entire filter to remove it.

Why they put it on so tight is beyond me. Quarter past hand tight seems to work just fine. Then use a 3 leg oil filter wrench to remove it.

Last edited:

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they're welding on the filters from the factory. I used an oil filter "socket" (big plastic thing) and only succeeded in stripping out the square opening where the socket wrench goes. Using a large wrench on the filter "socket" only resulted in the thing slipping around the filter. I eventually 'shimmed' the filter wrench and hammered it onto the filter. Then used a 1' long wrench and FINALLY got the damn thing to break loose.

On the factory filter was a little sticker that said "installed by The Hulk".

I also went the K&N filter route for the benefit of the little nut welded onto it to make the next change easier. Plus I didn't torque the living crap out of it, like the factory one was.

And while I didn't tip my bike in the process, I definately felt it shift when I was pulling on the wrench to break that damn filter loose.

Glad to hear you didn't do any damage.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, sounds like a common problem. My first oil\filter change went fine using a plastic filter tool. On the 2nd change the tool kept slipping so I bought a belt type. Getting leverage was tough due to limited space but I kept trying. It would not budge. After many attempts I found the effort had crushed the filter.

So, I added oil and rode to the dealer who was able to remove the filter with little oil loss. What a major pain. My understanding is that the problem is not that the filter is on too tight but it develops a sort of vacuum lock.

Tim

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap that was awful! Glad there was no damage to the bike though!
I've had quite a few crappy days like that... tried to replaced front wheel bearing on my car a few months ago. 8 hours into it I finally gave up (axle would not slide out, no matter what I tried) and had to replace all the parts I pulled off and take it to a shop ... but not before I tore through ball joint boot, which ended up costing me extra $60

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I always changed my oil and filter and never had a problem, people tend to really tighten it until their arms shake, even the butchers at a dealer. I do it till it's snug, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn. never leaked and always easy to get off.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, what a pain.

So glad to hear that you didn't get any damage on your tip over. Thank goodness for frame sliders!! :thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally once you hand tighten it, use a wrench and do about 1/2 turn.. that's it. And also, coat the rubber seal with oil.

That's what I did this time. Tightened it by hand, then used two hands to go another 1/3 of a turn. The factory filter (which was dealer changed ~ 3000km ago looked like there was no oil placed on the threads, as when I removed it, some of the filter thread had to be scraped off the filter housing. Presumably though, the dealer mechanics know what they're doing... :rolleyes:

Wow, that was a PITA! Glad it worked out in the end. For the last few years, I have been using my torque wrench for the oil drain bolt AND the oil filter. My friends think I'm nuts, but I've never had to use the screw driver method since...

I'm guessing you're using a K&N filter for this?

I think I'm going to start buying those K and N filters with the hex head welded right on the end.

In the future I would recommend using the K&N filter that has a welded 11mm nut on the end. All you need is one wrench to undo the oil pan plug and the filter as well. Costs a little more but it makes oil changes much easier.

Seems to be a common filter here. I was using a Mobil 1 filter as I had read 3 - 4 studies that 'proved' it was an excellent filter... but for convenience sake, and knowing I will be doing my own changes from now on, I think I'm gonna switch to these. :thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, what a pain.

So glad to hear that you didn't get any damage on your tip over. Thank goodness for frame sliders!! :thumbup:

That's two examples of frame sliders working this week... even though mine technically didn't slide. I can see the dents in the plywood floor where my swingarm slider, and frame slider hit. There is another dent where the peg dug in, and the bar end landed in my socket set (but didn't even get scratched). They're definitely worth the money... :D

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Originally Posted by Maverick
[Quote/]
I'm guessing you're using a K&N filter for this?

You could use the K&N, but I have a filter socket that I use on the OEM filters that I use with my torque wrench.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Been there and done that with the oil filter!

K and N ones definitely seem the way to go.

By the way - too cold to ride at 3 degrees celcius??? :spank:
Did my commute home in about -3 this afternoon! It'll be -5 tomorrow morning :(
My poor hands were frozen! The hideous handlebar muffs are going on tomorrow!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you run the bike after putting the stabil in?

Yup, says to run for 5 minutes after putting it in the tank to ensure it circulates.

You could use the K&N, but I have a filter socket that I use on the OEM filters that I use with my torque wrench.

I ended up breaking 3 of the filter socket wrenches. Snaped two of them in half, and the last on split in three after I drilled a self-tapping screw through it and into the oil filter... :(

By the way - too cold to ride at 3 degrees celcius??? :spank: Did my commute home in about -3 this afternoon! It'll be -5 tomorrow morning :( My poor hands were frozen! The hideous handlebar muffs are going on tomorrow!

Yup, my bike goes away when the temp drop to and stays around 5 degrees Celsius. I've read that all-season tires lose performance below 7 degrees, and my bike tires are definitely not all-season standards. Plus, here in Halifax, the pavement starts to heave ans settle around this temperature (and lower) and makes for an uncomfortable ride. Also, at temps that are sustained below 10 degrees, the pavement doesn't warm up well, and it takes forever for the tires to hit the proper temp. That combined with the rider being colder/shivering makes for less safe riding conditions IMO.

That being said, I sorta wish global warming would contribute to longer riding seasons here... :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why dont all Oil filters have a Hex nut on the end of them! I mean, seriously, oil changes should not be this much of a pain!

Thanks for sharing an experience that a lot of us have had....and ya cant beat the ol screwdriver through the filter method, if all else fails!

:thumbup:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
seems like the big freeze is on in the US and UK by looking at the tv last night. Feel sorry for you bros.
The only filter I had trouble with was the original one. I put mine on with a coat of oil, half turn after hand tight and no problemos.