Show us your Workshop, Shed, Mancave, or Womancave!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman, what kind of bike is on the stand?

I think it's a Z1000.

Am I close?

Actually, I don't think it is. But that swing arm looks like it.... :confused:

Yes it is. Changed my mind again. Maybe even a 2007?

Did I win? Did I? :D:D:D

Yes, Kazza is right, it's a 2007 Krapasaki Z1000....the clutch is fooked! awaiting parts! It aint mine, it's Gazza's...nice bike, with a killer full titanium Akropovic exhaust system, with carbon end can. Also has Ohlins fork internals, Ohlins rear shock...As Mikey calls it....FZ1 food! :rockon:

The bike at the back is a mighty Honda CB250, probably one of the world's most visually uninspiring, but most definitely practical motorbike's....awaiting a spray job!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished commissioning the heat for the garage to conclude an endeavor that started in June of this year. Everything from taping and mudding the drywall, the soffit and lighting controlled by a motion sensor, ceiling texture, and painting. Totally screwed up my whole summer of riding as the season mileage is at an all time low, but it was worth it. I can now sit and stare at the bike comfortably when it's -20°C outside. :D

dp_131130_05.jpg~original

dp_131130_04.jpg~original

dp_131130_02.jpg~original

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
To say that I am jealous would be an understatement.

I would just add a ton more cabinets, shelfs. Also it looks too clean! haha

What kind of heating system do you have?

I am hoping to install a natural gas heater in mine since there appears to be a gas line there. I am just to chicken to test it out. All the valves look rusted that I am afraid to see if it even is live.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that is one serious beautiful garage workshop space,
I am very envious ( green with envy )

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished commissioning the heat for the garage to conclude an endeavor that started in June of this year.

Holy smokes!! That is nicer than any room in my house!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished commissioning the heat for the garage to conclude an endeavor that started in June of this year. /QUOTE]

Daaaaamn. :bow: That's an awesome looking room... club... workshop... Mecca of Man :thumbup:

More pics, please! And details!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. Just to so you know, I decided to give the floor as good washing and moved everything up against the main door so what you see in these pictures is a staged photo shoot. Trust me, this is not how my functioning garage currently looks with the vehicles parked, wood cart and scaffold used as a rolling shelf, table saw, and the snow blower at the ready for the freakin winters we have up here.

To say that I am jealous would be an understatement.

I would just add a ton more cabinets, shelfs. Also it looks too clean! haha

What kind of heating system do you have?

I am hoping to install a natural gas heater in mine since there appears to be a gas line there. I am just to chicken to test it out. All the valves look rusted that I am afraid to see if it even is live.
Cabinets and shelving are the plan for next summer’s project but I don’t expect that they will take as long as this last stage of the work.

Holy smokes!! That is nicer than any room in my house!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
That’s what people at work are telling me too. :eek: The soffit lighting and knock down textured ceiling was an experiment for me as I’ve never done those before and thought if I were to develop the basement, I could consider doing this there.

Just finished commissioning the heat for the garage to conclude an endeavor that started in June of this year.

Daaaaamn. :bow: That's an awesome looking room... club... workshop... Mecca of Man :thumbup:

More pics, please! And details!

Not sure what you want to know, but I suppose we can start with the floor. It is a APF Granitex decorative color chip flooring. The concrete people threw that in for free when they had to replace the botched installation of the slot drain that runs the full length of the front of the garage.

dp_111226_08.jpg~original

The soffit lighting is 12V strip LED lighting powered by two 150W LED driver power supplies controlled by a Leviton motion sensor mounted up on the ceiling. The motion sensor has light strength and timer settings so I have it set to ignore lighting the perimeter when the doors are open and letting in daylight. When the lights do come on and it no longer senses motion, the timer will elapse in about 10 minutes and automatically turn off those lights until it trips again.

dp_130929_01.jpg~original

The heating is done through a hydronic system. The garage slab has 4 PEX loops of roughly 200 feet lengths incased in the concrete which was roughed in when we built the house. The hydronic system is polyethylene glycol based and is heated by a 115,000 BTU natural gas wall mounted condensing boiler which boasts 95% efficiency.

Before:
dp_131129_01.jpg~original

After:
dp_131129_05.jpg~original

While we were deciding to go with this install, we decided to replace our 65% efficient 50 gallon domestic hot water tank and go with an indirect 80 gallon DHW tank. The new tank turned out to be smaller and a little wider and has a stainless steel tank instead of the typical gas fired steel glass lined one we replaced.

4 loop manifold with individual adjustable loop flow
dp_131129_11.jpg~original

The boiler installation took 3 and a half days’ worth to get it to look good, and the plumber did a great job. I helped of course and did all the electrical for it while he did all the copper and PEX work.

I’ve got the system running pretty high at the moment to see what kind of heat loss I’m getting in the garage and currently with the outside temperature at -18°C, the slab is sitting at 24°C and the ambient is at 16°C, so not bad for hanging out in.

Other than not being able to ride this winter, I was pretty excited to get this system installed and for always having to endure winters in an unheated garage, I was looking forward this winter. Sweet!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dammit Scott, just when I was getting over BD43's garage you post up yours!:spank::spank:

Ok, mine isnt much, but I'll go take a pic.

View attachment 51479

Heck, yours is tighter than mine!!

Besides wrenching, I'll do arc, mig and gas welding as well as metal lathe work (pictured), thus the grinders, drill press, drills, etc.

There's more stuff in the garage attic (not used often). BTW, the actual black workbench show above, is "bed frame" steel, welded together (with the arc welder many years ago), bolted to the wall. The main red tool box, sits atop an added on, bed frame steel, (recycled & free) with the larger Porter Cable air compressor underneath. The little PC air compressor is my back up or if I need air elsewhere away from the garage.

For our hot summers down here, when I had the house attic re-insulated with the fluffy stuff, I had them do the garage attic as well (not shown). I also have the hard insulation inside the garage door which helps signicantly keeping the temps stable.

Its rare I run the wall A/C, but its very comfortable thru out the year even without the wall A/C unit. It also acts a refuge should a hurricane/power outage knock out electric, the generator (outside-not shown) can run that A/C making the garage an actual living area in an emergency (thus all the fuel cans under the cabinet).

If I had the room as BD43 does, everything would be in cabinets, a dedicated metal working area (welding, grinding, etc) and likely more vehicles in the stable! :)

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Normally the hockey/soccer net goes outside during the summer, the boogie boards/beach stuff stays in the back of my truck. Winter time I lose most of the space, just enough to work on the bike.